Sunday, October 13, 2013

Recipe: Frozen Fruit Smoothie

HOW WE DISCOVERED THIS SWEET TREAT:
While on Kauai, Mom, Chaela, and I visited a fruit stand sort of place (Maloa'a Sunrise, on the north end of the island). We liked what we had so much that we ended up taking Dad once he got to Kauai, and went three times in all! What drew me? Their delicious fruit smoothies. The ingredients? Fruit, plain and simple. I can't recall precisely what fruit was used in the two different smoothies I tried there, but after our first visit we made a beeline to a nearby grocery store for fruit to make our own smoothies.

SHOPPING LIST:
- bag of frozen blueberries
- two-three bananas, ripe to preference
- one fresh pineapple

WHAT I DID:
- As soon as we got to our condo, I peeled and sliced up the bananas, cut the pineapple into smallish chunks, put the banana and pineapple into Freezer Ziplock baggies, and put all the fruit in the freezer.
- The next morning I let the banana and pineapple slices sit out to thaw a bit. I didn't want them to soften all the way; I just wanted them to be soft enough to mix in the blender.
- I blended the blueberries first - not down to a pulp, but just enough to act as a juice for the other fruit - then added the rest to make this delicious concoction.
- Okay, I've tried the smoothie both ways; you pick which you like better... You either can mix everything into a SMOOTH smoothie, or stop just short of that, leaving sweet little chunks of pineapple throughout the smoothie. :)
- I don't know if this particular recipe keeps very well at all in the fridge or freezer, as every time I've made it over here, it all gets devoured before it can melt!


Now, go try the smoothie. Don't add sugar or nastiness or even milk or yogurt or ice or ANYTHING but naturally sweet, perfectly delectable fruit! :D

1 comment:

  1. No adding nastiness, folks. That would be....nasty. ;-) Dani, I am so thankful I get to have your smoothies for breakfast! They're sweet & delicious!

    ReplyDelete